These days developers need to build complex websites and web apps, and above a certain complexity level it can take too much time and hassle to always start from scratch, hence came the need for a more structured natural way of development. PHP frameworks provide developers with an adequate solution for that.
In this post we carefully handpicked 10 popular PHP frameworks that can best facilitate and streamline the process of backend web development.
Why Use A PHP Framework
But first, let’s take a look at the top reasons why many developers like to use PHP frameworks and how these frameworks can level up your development process. Here’s what PHP frameworks do:
- Make speed development possible
- Provide well-organized, reusable and maintainable code
- Let you grow over time as web apps running on frameworks are scalable
- Spare you from the worries about low-level security of a site
- Follow the MVC (Model-View-Controller) pattern that ensures the separation of presentation and logic
- Promote modern web development practices such as object-oriented programming tools
Although Laravel is a relatively new PHP framework (it was released in 2011), according to Sitepoint’s recent online survey it is the most popular framework among developers. Laravel has a huge ecosystem with an instant hosting and deployment platform, and its official website offers many screencast tutorials called Laracasts.
Laravel has many features that make rapid application development possible. Laravel has its own light-weight templating engine called “Blade”, elegant syntax that facilitates tasks you frequently need to do, such as authentication, sessions, queueing, caching and RESTful routing. Laravel also includes a local development environment called Homestead that is a packaged Vagrant box.